Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Patiently waiting for God to take us on our new journey!

As a young boy, I sat in the pews of my home church, closely observing my pastor as he faithfully and diligently proclaimed the Good News of God’s saving love and grace. I can remember watching and learning from him. I thought his family was so cool, and I could see how lovingly he treated them. I knew then that I wanted to become a pastor, and I wondered what it would be like. I was getting ready for my time now.

Through the years I have watched my pastor transition from being senior pastor to being retired; and yet he is still helping in ministry. His sermons often involved deep, challenging messages, as well as reflections on God’s goodness to him during his ministry.  Both of these styles impacted my life.

While his transition was going, on my wife and I were becoming the team and family for which I had prayed.  In 2007 I became a pastor, and for the past five years I have devoted much time to youth work.  It was a challenging calling because youth continually moved in and out of the ministry, but God was at work.  

My wife, Mindy and I have spent the last five years learning how to love one another through the ins and outs of life and ministry.  At the same time we learned how to be parents to our three wonderful children.  God was at work.

When I received the Call to Mount Calvary, the person I had to talk to was the much respected and well liked Pastor Z. [I have to admit I was nervous for our meeting.] I just randomly called him up and asked him to meet with me to talk about my newest Call.  Pastor Z shared a wonderful story about his last five years at Mt. Calvary.  He explained that during that time, he saw the passion in the hearts of the members as they shared the love of Jesus with others.  He said God has worked on them to shape Mount Calvary for new things and new journeys.  God was at work.

And suddenly…

There we were—our family spending time in Branson the week before I was installed at Mount Calvary.  It was our first family vacation without extended family there in some form or fashion.  We had a great time at the wax museum, taking pictures of our children with all those famous wax statues.  Mindy got a birthday present at the outlet; Jacob swam with a chipmunk that had gotten knocked into the baby pool; Gavin showed us how to play mini golf by dragging the club; and Abby stole the hearts of many with her hair bows and dresses. I sat back, feeling overjoyed as a father and husband while experiencing a wonderful vacation with my deeply loved family.

And suddenly God has brought us to this moment!

I drove into the parking lot, soaking up every moment as my car rolled up the drive.  This is the church to which God has called me.  It seemed unreal; the interview, the call papers, and now today.  That moment I had dreamed of as a boy was here!  My work with youth had been a constant process—learning how to connect with youth, and how to care for them.  God did so much teaching in the past five years, and suddenly when he was finished teaching me about our youth culture, he brought me to this moment. 




Pastor Z shared another story of a lady who was struggling with the fact that he was leaving Mount Calvary.  She implored, “But Pastor Z, how can you leave us--you brought us to this moment--like through the wilderness?”

Pastor Z replied, “I may have brought you through the wilderness, but now you finish the story.”

As I heard this, I thought about Mount Calvary’s journey.  It was an overwhelming feeling to know that I was called to serve the wonderful people of Mount Calvary.

And suddenly…

God brought Mindy and me and all of Mount Calvary to this moment.

Pastor Vern and Pastor Kyle have led you on an amazing journey as you prepared for the next pastor.  They have taught you, loved you, cared for you and shared the wonderful words of Jesus with you.

And suddenly . . .

God used all of that to bring us to Sunday.  It was a joyous moment celebrating the work God has done in each of us over the last five years.  I wish each of you could have been at the front of the church with me as I watched those “Hanke Hankies” being waved!  I was overjoyed, and felt your joy as well!

It is that joy that will bring us here to celebrate God’s wonderful Word and Sacraments.  Together we will share in the joyous moments, as well as in the difficult moments.  We will share in God’s forgiveness and in reconciliation.  We will share in inviting and welcoming new people into our church family.

And suddenly . . .

God’s work will be done by His grace and mercy.  I look forward to many years of growing in faith with you, and in sharing our faith with this wonderful community that surrounds Mount Calvary.

God’s peace,


Pastor Will

1 comment:

Thomas said...

We're so glad you're here at Mt. Calvary. God's prepared you, and us to work together.