Thursday, August 16, 2012

The value of those in school!!


It is school time, and we see back packs on the corners of all the streets. Rock Hill Road was finished just in time for the buses to get through the back roads. It’s the only time of year you can’t find a pen or pencil on the shelves of your favorite store. You have to be careful of all those school zone signs or you might just end up with a ticket. Yes, school is back in session in August. Hard to believe but it is here!

To some parents it is a relief that they no longer have to receive calls at work from their children about how bored they are; or have to figure out what to do today for their daily outing during summer.  I remember as a kid asking, “Mom, do we still go to church in the summer?” Kids are out of rhythm in the summer.

School brings routine and getting back to the rhythm of our lives.  That rhythm is so important and something we love, but sometimes we crave our routines so much that we don’t stop to look at what is happening in the world around us.

I was at opening chapel at Christ Community Lutheran School.  It was like being home in a way. I have always been at churches with large schools, and I remember the opening chapels. They were always so full of energy!  The CCLS experience was rather surreal because in this congregation was a whole group of new parents in a church I attended when I was at the seminary, but yet I have done chapels like this during my whole ministry. I think the school leadership forgot for a second that I had been a youth pastor for five years, until I had the 8th graders scream that they ruled CCLS.  Don’t worry!  The Executive Director, Mr. Rob Cooksey, called me out, but I don’t embarrass easily. (too many youth messing with me through the years.)  One of my favorite tricks was when I was staying with my in-laws after we moved from California. The Youth Group followed me home one night, and later took pictures of my in-laws’ house. They held onto those pictures until we sang Big House one night and slowly the power point presentation revealed all the pictures from my in-laws’ house, including my car parked outside of it. I laughed as I recognized my in-laws house, right before I gave the message at that youth event. Their creative minds are unique and have been the highlight of my life.  As I was teaching them at CCLS about being one in Jesus, I began to wonder what relationships with youth will develop.

I have encouraged the Church to constantly realize the value of our young people. I want people to see how much they can help the Church right now before they are even considered adults. I have written articles on how we must include them right now, and how we can all benefit from their passion and heart for the Church.

The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod has a very strong desire to help us see that youth and children are the future of the Church. Through infant baptism our children begin their journey as God’s dear children, and members of His family, the Church. This week we will celebrate with long time members as they watch their grand-daughter being baptized. It is an exciting moment for our church community to welcome the newest member of the next generation.

Soon Mt. Calvary’s Center for Early Childhood Education will open its doors, and we will have tons of families with their little guys entering our facility. It is a prime time to talk about God’s very calling to our children. Jesus rebuked the disciples when they did not acknowledge that the little children were worth His time. This week we will focus our attention on this exact point. We are all children of light. God has provided each of us, young and old, with various talents to use in His kingdom.

No comments: