Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Worn out Thanksgiving


My uncle was only 11 years older than me; he was the cool one. He was the uncle we watched grow up. He was a teenager while we were young kids trying to keep up with him.  I have to admit he shaped a few things in my life. He was the one who first introduced me to R & B music back when I believed rock music was from the devil. Soon that became the music that first graced my cd player. He continued to lead me as he invited me to visit the college he attended.  During my 8th grade year I stayed with him at Concordia, River Forest.  And finally he showed me the art of dressing. Long before I ever became a pastor, he would take me shopping and teach me about clothes. I hit clearance racks and found ways to buy clothes without spending tons of money, but still getting clothes I wanted. And once I had them I would keep them. I did everything to keep them nice. I was so thankful for these blessings. I have clothes that I have had since college. I have shoes that I have had since high school. The problem is--no matter how hard I tried, and no matter how thankful I was, eventually the clothes would wear out. It was almost like a hint of sadness every time one of them had to hit the trash can.

Every year as we celebrate Thanksgiving this odd thing happens. We are reflecting on the end of the church year and preparing for the end of the world. Living in America, we are thanking God for all the blessings He has given us in this life. At the same time we are anticipating when He will come back and completely renew the earth, and change it/destroy it. It is like thanking God for something we know is going to wear out.


This hardly seems something to celebrate. It is hard to thank God for something I know will soon be gone and tossed away like my clothes. I don’t want to thank God for cool clothes or blessings, and at the same time picture them wearing out and needing to be thrown away.

Our two different passages in Scripture this week do exactly this. In our reading on Thanksgiving we will talk about being content in all things, and then turn around and hear about Isaiah talking about how the earth will wear out like a garment. The challenge will be to recognize God’s gifts in all of our lives, and yet to know that trusting in Jesus means this is just the beginning. Anything we have in this life is a blessing, but those blessings will be even better when we are in heaven. It is kind of like celebrating the wearing out of old clothes. What does it mean to be content with what you have, but not get so caught up in it that you can’t bear to see it get tossed in the trash?

This is an odd combination of things, but the truth is that God wants us to be thankful and rejoice in how He blesses us in this life. Yet, He also wants us to know that this life will wear out like an old garment, but God will provide an even better life, eternal life. It is about celebrating our seasons and yet looking forward to the next one. It is certainly a hard thing to balance, but we see these kinds of tensions all through our lives. This week is just the moment when they collide. What a blessing to celebrate Thanksgiving with our Creator, Savior, and Sanctifier and yet know that He has something even greater for us to come!

No comments: