Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wisdom

As I began to ponder how to approach our next series, I went in many directions.  At the beginning of last year, as a small group, we put together some ideas for various sermon series.  One of those ideas was to talk about youth and children, and bring us back to focus on our future.  As I spent time preparing for this, I came across a book that is not used as often--Proverbs.  Proverbs was written by the wisest man ever, Solomon.  Yet when reading it we often can feel like children or youth.  Proverbs contains wise guidance for our youth and children, but also for us.

I once heard it said from a PhD who was familiar with kids, that he felt like childhood was one of the most challenging periods in life.  I remember hearing this comment and struggling with it.

Over the next several weeks we will broach the tough topics from this book by Solomon.  These subjects are difficult for our naturally sinful ears to hear, but they bring us into a deep understanding of how the wisdom that God had granted Solomon could help our children, youth, and us.  We will spend the next several weeks digging into this book, and praying that we can be God’s tools to speak the words of wisdom from the Holy Spirit into a world that is struggling to see the Truth of God.
Thinking through the years of good memories from my childhood, I found it hard to relate; but yet on the other hand, reflecting on the counsel I needed to work through some of the tough situations during my childhood, his statement made sense.  Then I also  reflected on my own kids.  A good majority of my focus as an adult is guiding and directing them.  The biggest parental issue today is that many parents tend not to take responsibility for providing this guidance.  Kids that are neglected don’t feel the love and care God intended for them to receive in a family.  The same can be said of our church kids.  I believe we need to talk with them often, provide them with wise guidance, and bring them into leadership roles.  This is the very wisdom of Solomon.  If we are able to impart this wisdom to our kids from the very beginning, we will find God’s Word has soaked into their very bones.

No comments: