Friday, February 28, 2014

Wanna Get Away


These commercials by Southwest Airlines always amuse me.  Recently they had some odd commercials of people racecar driving and performing other events. The company moved from portraying vacation spots and awkward moments to unique experiences.  No matter what happens in life there are always moments from which we want to get away.  There are things in all of our lives that give us pain and struggles.  They are products of sin, and therefore moments from which we want to escape. 
            Just this week I was at Walmart, standing in line to pay, when Jacob reminded me that he had to go to the bathroom.  Because the bathroom was right in front of me, I said, “Just go!  I will be right here.”  As I finished paying, there was no sight of Jacob.  So I looked in the bathroom and could not see him.  I freaked out and left my cart to find him.  I did remember, even in panic mode, that sometimes he goes to the video games if I am in the checkout isle.  And he knows that I am usually able to see him from there.  Sure enough, that’s where I found him.  At that point, my mind eased, but then I started second-guessing that whole situation.  Should I allow him to do things like go to the bathroom on his own?  As we walked out of the store, I was talking to Mindy on the phone about our house when Gavin started running.  I yelled at him just in time to stop him before he was only a few feet away from being hit by a car.  By all means this was my worst trip to Walmart in a long time.  I just wanted to get away.  I thought through all the potential repercussions of both of those events.  Things for the most part seem to be going well in our lives, but I thought about how either of those circumstances could have completely impacted our family.
            On the Mount of Transfiguration, a few of the apostles caught a glimpse of the glory of God.  They immediately wanted to get away from this life, build tents, and stay up there.  It is amazing to realize the glory and forgiveness of God, which reminds us that there will be a final get away to Heaven.  This weekend we reflect on the Mount of Transfiguration and the Glory of God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I "LIKE."

Unknown said...

I always err on the side of panic...nobody goes to the bathroom (or does ANYthing) by themselves....I think we are a good balance and so far our kids have survived!! Thank you Jesus!