Friday, August 22, 2014

Living out the new Saturday


The morning show host I listen to on the way to work commented that he refused to talk about Ferguson for fear that it would be misconstrued.  He said, “If you are wondering why we haven’t discussed it, it is because we know that no matter what we say, someone could hear it the wrong way.”  This week Mindy participated in the ice bucket challenge for ALS, and now that my facebook is consumed with this topic, I became aware of a few things.  A couple of the people with whom I am connected started posting their criticism of this challenge.  Some of the quotes read, “Stop dumping ice on your heads and start donating.”  Another subject for discussion, which my sister-in-law would say is my favorite topic, is that people were criticizing Robin Williams for committing suicide.  So what does this all have to do with New Saturdays?
                 
Everything is the answer.  I’ve got to admit that being thematic in my approach to ministry taints my view on this world.  I also wondered what ice buckets had to do with ALS.  My detailed teacher-wife explained on her first video, which got cut off because my iPhone is old and out of memory, that it is the same feeling that people with ALS experience in their bodies.  Then my skepticism of the theme faded, and I agreed that not only was this a brilliant way to raise awareness, but a great connection too.  Having studied marketing as a college student has made me aware that this type of promotion could catch on like wildfire.  But will new designers with new causes be able to do it with the same thematic connection that is necessary?  No!  Will people criticize?  Absolutely!  Now my wife has no clue who Peter Frates is, because she doesn’t watch ESPN, but she does understand the impact of the ice bucket challenge.

Living out the New Saturday will never be received well.  Becoming a disciple of Christ, and trying to make an impact on this world is challenging.  It is much easier to make our Saturday stories ones that are consumed with what movies we’ve watched, food we’ve eaten, and visits we’ve taken to the pillow.  Yet, believing that peace can happen in Ferguson; sharing that mental illness is a dangerous path that can lead to suicide; or connecting ice bucket challenges to a cause which results in a 400% gain for a charity, are totally worth it even if not everyone who does it is also donating.

We are not all Peter Frates.  I love his story.  He was an amazing baseball player who was living out his life.  Peter had a great girlfriend, was headed to a promising career, when at age 27 he was diagnosed with ALS.   He inspired his friends with the ice bucket challenge and then the madness began.  If you know the real story, I think it is hard to be critical.  I couldn’t plead the cause for a disease in my Saturday Story because I am not suffering from one.  But we each have areas in which we are gifted, and yet have struggles.  Our Saturday Stories include our gifts matched with passion, which then produce God’s way of fighting sin in this world.  Sure, the battle of sin is over because of Jesus, but there are still enough people out there who don’t know about Jesus.  Living as Extraordinary Servants involves finding those areas of our lives in which we are gifted, and have the passion to let people know that sin has been defeated by Jesus. I pray that Peter Frates knows about Jesus.  I pray that he believes that whether or not a cure for ALS is found, he can be healed by the saving blood of Jesus.  Living out the New Saturday involves trusting that God can use your unique gifts to be an Extraordinary Servant in this world.  It is different for each of us.  The world is likely to criticize it.  But the great news is that this is Sanctification.  We are being molded into servants of God, even though the world doesn’t get our New Saturdays.

No comments: