Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Come and See Jesus in Brentwood!


I realize my Christmas blogs are stacking up, so I better say this is the Christmas Edition for 2015. That way I can look back on it and remember what 2015 was like for us in Brentwood.

I don’t know about you, but I avoid stores at all costs. I systematically plan when to go to the few places I need to go to hit the least amount of people and traffic. A few days ago Mindy asked me to stop on my way home and pick up this thing we needed to make one of our gifts. I said, “Sure. I am going to try and get it at CVS.” She said,  “Or you could just run into Target.” To which I responded, “There is no just running into Target right now.”

More stores than ever are trying to make sure we can run in, get what we need, and get out. Counting out change has been exchanged for the swiping of cards, and this year the swiping of cards has been exchanged for paying with your smart phone or with the new chipped card. Still, shopping seems like a tedious task that I only do when necessary. I know gifts are important, but I’m much more willing to purchase them from the comfort of my home, phone, or whatever makes it easy. I purchased most of my gifts online this year and they showed up at my door a few days later. I did have to go into Best Buy the other night for a gift I needed right away. It was 9pm so I thought I could get in and get out fairly quickly. Instead I found myself frustrated and annoyed with the staff as we were held up in line waiting on a manger.

Even with these new ways of purchasing gifts to make it the most convenient as possible for us, there is still one gift that makes people behave differently. For this one gift people will fight McKnight traffic, bundle up in cold weather, and brave the crowds. Even if they haven’t been inside a sanctuary in a year (perhaps since last Christmas), people will make the trek out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day to come to church. There is something about the candles lit in the church, the hymns sung by a large group of people, and a message that brings us back to what the real gift is on this day – Jesus.

In the family service the kids will say, “Come to Bethlehem and See,” and they have it perfectly right. Come and see who Jesus is. The story has been told time and time again, but this is one we want to come and see. There is something about coming that always makes the seeing worth it. We see people gathered around the story of the Redeemer that came to save us. All the hustle and bustle of gift buying for 2015 is set aside to see a baby that quietly came to change this world forever. Yes, this gift is one worth enduring crowded parking lots and waiting in line.

Some people who may not have been here in a long time will come to Mt. Calvary to see this story and to worship together. Our job is to be ready. Talk about pressure, right? Mt. Calvary people are welcoming, caring, and intentional about relationships. This is a moment to remember that they are coming to see the greatest gift ever. How can we make that more special for them? Perhaps by taking a moment to share a friendly smile, asking about their Christmas traditions, or just showing joy that they are here. One of the first places that they will see the greatest gift ever this Christmas is living inside of you! 

No comments: