Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Overshadowing Love


When we were driving home from the lake last weekend, Jacob got bored. It wasn’t his turn on the iPad, and he had already finished the activity book I had given him. On the way down I had given him the speech that back when I was a kid there were no iPads. I can only have that speech so many times before I feel like my great grandpa, so I resorted to teaching him how to play the Alphabet game. It was amazing watching his second-grade mind race as he ran through the alphabet in his head thinking of the next letter. Then the deluge started. As the rain was slamming down on our car, Jacob was frantically looking for the object that started with the next letter so he could beat me. Nevermind that I couldn’t even see anything to drive, much less play a game. Jacob finished first, of course, and celebrated his victory. I have to admit, I felt a little pride at that moment.  I was playing a game with my son and enjoying it. I got him to have good father/son time and forget about what he was missing. Then, as we drove up 44, came a beautiful rainbow, and I was reminded of the way my Father in heaven takes care of me. I had been overshadowed by, of all people, my heavenly Father. I know. How can I even think that?

Mother’s day is held in much higher regard than Father’s Day.  It seems to get lost in the aftermath. Just look at the date. It’s stuck in the middle of June, a smoking hot day when we try to barbeque. But if you are a Christian, Father’s Day means much more. On Father’s Day we can remember the example set by our heavenly Father, who loves His children. Yes, I am overshadowed, and so is every father out there. I can’t live up to that kind of love. Honestly, some people can’t even begin to understand God the Father’s love because of their own father’s lack of love. But the overshadowing is from Scripture; not only in the way fathers should love, but the way they should serve as well. Scripture teaches men to serve their wives. So, Father’s Day should not be some big day to celebrate the work fathers are doing, but another day that fathers are blessed to love and serve their wives and kids, and worship the one true Father, who is flawless and worthy of worship.

Scripture points us to the characteristics of our Father in heaven. That is exactly what Paul does this weekend in our lesson as we read from his letter to the Galatians. Here we learn more about the characteristics of our heavenly Father and how He loves His children. His example helps all fathers as they continue to care for their families. God’s loving refinement is amazing, as we listen to His Word and see how His amazing overshadowing love falls on us.

No comments: