Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Unexpected Presence


Have you ever had that moment where you saw someone you didn’t expect to see and it was a good thing? Not the moments when we bump into someone who we have had issues with and it is shocking and nerve racking. I’ve had those too. But I’m talking about the time you bump into someone you have been thinking about, and you are so thrilled for the unexpected surprise.

I was at the zoo with my kids on the sacred church staff holiday called Easter Monday. We had a regimented plan to deal with the rain, which was trying to interrupt our trip. We had to see the bugs and butterflies, then the reptiles, and finally the gorillas. I was standing, hood up, watching the gorillas with a light sprinkle coming down when I bumped into someone.  It was a local pastor who I had been meaning to call to set up lunch. We chatted for a minute and made tentative plans. I praised Jesus for the unexpected presence, which makes unexpected joyful reunions.

There are a million ways to tackle our Bible reading this weekend. Growing up I loved this Sunday more than Easter. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Easter, but I loved even more when the resurrection became a reality by the unexpected presence of Christ. His disciples and a few others didn’t immediately recognize Jesus after He had risen from the dead, but the minute they did, it was a joyful reunion. This weekend we take time to understand a God who is omnipresent, which means He can be everywhere, and He knows the times we ignore, or just miss, His presence in our lives.

No comments: