Thursday, May 1, 2014

Confirmation


I used to confirm about a hundred kids every year.  It involved a massive amount of detailed work to make it all come out right.  I remember the first year I was printing all those little slips of paper for the other pastors who were helping me.  I went from writing papers and practicing sermons to drinking from the fire hose of prepping youth for their faith life in Jesus.  Yet, from my own personal Confirmation Sunday to those in which I have officiated as pastor, all have been special.  There are certain kids who tell me that they still have their confirmation pictures in their rooms as we posed together on that special day.  Yet, the joy for me comes from those relationships, because l always wanted to be a pastor who could nurture these associations.  I often would get lost in the sea of kids while I tried to learn about their lives, and discover how to care for their individual needs.  Yet, every year there were certain kids whose stories were so clear in my head.

Some of the stories were painful as I reflected on the horrible relationships they had with their parents.  Others had caused their own painful stories by making poor choices.  Happily, those who had loving parents seemed to fit the model so well, and develop strong faith lives.  So often we can look at other faith stories and imagine how much better their story has been than our own.  I have often looked at my mentors and pastors whom I loved, and wondered if they handled things better than I have.  Yet, the truth is that every faith story is a journey, and every confirmation is another step on that journey.

As the Church, our goal is to love those confirming their faith; to encourage them for the work they have done; and to pray for them as they step into this challenging world.  No matter if the number of confirmands is 1 or 100, this day is something the Church needs to hold in high regard.  The work these youth put in to successfully arrive at this day is amazing.  And as a church, we stand by Emma this week as she shares her faith with us.


The beauty of this is that I know Emma’s story.  Over the last several weeks I have had a chance to talk with her about her experiences at Christian camps.  I’ve had the opportunity to discuss communion with her.  Unlike in the days when my grandpa was the confirming pastor, it doesn’t have to be scary to prove to me that you know your stuff.  In this day and age we look at the confirmand and say, “I am delighted that you have dedicated time and effort to do this.  I am glad you know your Savior and your faith.”  It presents a moment to look that young person in the eye and let them know you care.

Emma chose Hebrews 11:1 as her confirmation verse.  We read the whole section this week in our Epistle reading.  This account is all about those people of faith in earlier times, and how they shared their faith in the lives of others.  We are all Extraordinary Servants sharing our lives with the people we touch.  Now we send out Emma to do the same thing.  This week we are offered an opportunity to pass on the torch of faith, and describe how it has impacted our lives.  Our prayer is that it will impact Emma’s story in a similar but unique way.

No comments: