Thursday, May 15, 2014

Grieving Loss


Recently, I have taken a ride back into history.  Something that keeps coming across my computer screen highlights some historic foods.  The McD Lt was one of those iconic foods we can’t forget.  I recently asked my father-in-law if he remembered them, and he said, “Of course!”   If you don’t recall, it was the Mc Donald’s burger you fixed yourself.  There was a burger on one side and lettuce and tomato on the other to keep it cool.  I remember watching my parents eat it and wondering if I could get it also.  But when Styrofoam was determined to be bad for the environment, this tasty treat was taken off the market.  The other items on some of these lists were Pudding Pops, Ecto Cooler and Squeeze-Its.

Every Friday my grade school sold Pudding Pops, and I always tried to remember to bring money so I could buy one.  Those are certainly some things my generation will never forget.  With that in mind, it is also interesting to me that Squeeze-Its and Ecto Cooler couldn’t survive the next generation, which didn’t know or appreciate them.  Yet for those who do remember them, it is like a journey back in time to reminisce about those childhood memories.  These are just things my kids will never know or understand.

My point is that if we grieve over tiny things like a burger that ultimately you can still get, but just not in the same way; imagine how much we can grieve over other things.  Any loss of something connected to us creates pain.  The greater the connection, the deeper the pain; and potentially the longer the process becomes in order to deal with it.  There are grief support groups to help people dealing with the loss of loved ones, and there are even groups for people who have lost their jobs.  We can’t deny what loss does to us.  It is hard to embrace and accept that part of change.  Grief is a natural thing we can’t stop, but it also can be paralyzing if we hold onto it too long.

This weekend our congregation prepares to say goodbye to someone who has been with us for over 30 years.  Deb has been a key part of our mission, our vision and our church.  As we bid farewell to Deb, there is no doubt that we will feel loss.  This weekend we take step one as we prepare for her departure.

When God’s people lost Stephen, a man so highly regarded, it had to be difficult for them.  No doubt their loss and grief was immense.  The bond is even tighter when that person helps to guide and direct you in faith, like Deb and Stephen.  While we grieve we look to Jesus, our source of hope and peace, and are reminded of the way He constantly takes care of us.

No comments: