Thursday, July 24, 2014

Facing and Conquering Death


When I got to my first call the pastors at my new church invited me to dinner, and to hang out and visit.  They made tacos, and, trust me, they weren’t the kind of tacos we normally experience.  Right then I got my first exposure to California food.  Both pastors traded off; one popped in for a drink and a taco, and then went off to do a service. The other stopped in for a drink and a taco; then went off to a meeting while the first pastor returned in a few minutes.  That should have been Mindy’s and my first clue of how things were going to be in a church of that size.  During the summer, weddings, funerals and church services were many.  This seemed to be the pace of my ministry for five years.  One of the things I love about Mt. Calvary is having the time to truly get to know people, spend time talking to them, and learning their stories.  This week has become one of those weeks that remind me of the beginning of my ministry with two funerals along with my regular schedule, but it is blended with the beauty of knowing the stories.

I was prompted last Tuesday to call Ethel, and, sure enough, God had a reason.  I just woke up that morning feeling like I hadn’t seen her lately.  I tried to call her all morning long, knowing that typically I am able to reach her right away.  Then I discovered that she was in a new rehab center, and her phone was not working.  I made time to head over there, only to discover that she was just about to start a rehab session.  I asked for a couple minutes with her, and I held Ethel’s hands and prayed with her.  The first thing out of her mouth was, “Your hands are so warm.”  I can barely remember the words I prayed, but truly felt that at that moment I had become the vessel of Jesus.  So often I am humbled when Jesus uses me because I know I need His grace just as much as the next guy.  I noticed Ethel’s daughter, Lois, was struggling, and so I asked to pray with her for a minute.  Even though the visit was very short it was amazing to watch God work.  I came home and told Mindy I thought Ethel would probably pass soon, not knowing, of course, what would develop quickly in the next couple of days.

I had watched Jason Skaggs’ slow decline as the cancer in his body took over.  I had met and seen Jason so many times--lively and loving his family.  This time I was headed over to his home to baptize him.  This was a moment his family had been praying about for years.  As I entered his hospital-bed-equipped room, Jason was quiet, which was typical, but he was even more quiet than usual.  I questioned him about his desire to be baptized, and his answers confirmed that he was ready for this day.  I baptized him, and watched the water run down his head which was now bald from the treatments.  It was an overwhelming experience as I realized that I got to be the pastor who baptized him.   I prayed with him, and then before I left I got a chance to talk to Ron, his father-in- law.  We recapped this joyous moment, even though we were also surrounded by the ensuing sadness of his impending death.

This week and weekend I, along with the Mt. Calvary family, will spend time with these families, as we mourn and celebrate.  This is what extraordinary servanthood is all about--looking for opportunities to share the hope we have in Christ.  The sadness will develop into sweetness as we reflect upon what God has done in the lives of these people.  This weekend we conclude all of that by studying Paul’s instructions to the Romans about handling moments like these.   We face death and sin all day long, but nothing can separate us from the love of Christ.  We face death in multiple ways this week and weekend, but we rejoice in the knowledge that Christ has conquered all of this for us.  We will talk about that more this weekend.

No comments: