Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rest


I dream a lot.  Sometimes I think there are great things that come from my dreams, but at other times they just involve something I am working out in my mind. There are odd times when people from my past enter my dreams.  Those are the moments I wake up asking God what that had to do with anything.  In my normal guilt-plagued fashion I ask myself, What did I watch, read, or hear that triggered this dream?  But sometimes these dreams are truly out of left field. Sometimes the dreams have such powerful story lines that I can’t go back to sleep.  I don’t mean the way little kids are when they wake up; I mean the fact that I can’t stop thinking about what happened in my dream.  Often I am worried about my life or someone else’s life.  I end up exhausted just as my little curly alarm clock wakes me up from the other room by calling, “Daddy!”  Oh there are days when I wish I had to set an alarm clock.  In a typical vicarage/internship-like mistake, I over slept one Sunday.  I used to worry about what would happen when I was the main pastor.  This is why a few weeks ago we talked about how God knows those details, not us.  God knew he would give me three alarm clocks by then, and I would never be late for church again.  Guess He took care of that worry.

There is no doubt that rest is important.  We all have opinions on how much rest is needed.  The only solid conclusion we can find on rest is that we need more than we think, and we don’t have enough time to get it.  Rest is necessary so we can recharge and prepare for what’s next.  Rest allows even our minds to slow down. When we are properly rested, we respond better; we are more patient; and have more energy.  So if we know all these things about rest why don’t we get more of it?  The answer is simple; there is always something else to do.  There is always someone or something that demands our attention.

My mom’s side of the family has gifted me with the ability to power nap.  The power nap is useful in all kinds of situations.  But it is especially necessary when you are a parent.  The power nap is simple.  You can lie down for as little as 10 minutes, and get up and feel refreshed.  Now some people say that would never work for them, and I guess they might be right.  But for me a 10-minute nap during the day can change so many things.  I can be completely dragging, and lay down for 10 minutes and be ready to hit the task at hand.

My point is simple.  Jesus offers rest.  We are heavily burdened, and our to-do lists are long.  We have so many responsibilities and things we have to accomplish. Fourth of July is the prime time we are reminded to rest.  It is the middle of summer and the days are hot.  We take a few moments to rest by pools, in lawn chairs, in hotel rooms; and we take a second to reflect on our busy lives. There is just something about taking a holiday like this and getting some rest and relaxation.  As we reflect into falling into a Jesus lawn chair, pool chair, or bed, we take a moment to give Him all our lives and worries.  We get rid of our burdens, eat a hot dog, and say, Jesus, You take over for a minute.  Sometimes the hardest part is giving into resting.  But once we are there, we feel the grace of God and taste His rest.  His rest is also worship.  And this is why He set aside a day every week for us to rest in Him.

No comments: