Thursday, March 5, 2015

From Folly to Boasting


Last week I became aware of an unusual fight. It was a Facebook fight. Those who don’t use Facebook may wonder how this happens. On Facebook, people post their thoughts and then others can comment on them. Most of the time this works out nicely, like when I posted a video of Abby blowing out her candles from her birthday party last Sunday. It allowed people, like my family in Kansas City, to see her. It was a cool thing. Sometimes though, when people post their opinions and thoughts, they receive all kinds of feedback and remarks, good and bad. For instance, there was a lot of remarking going on when Wainwright had to come back to St. Louis to get his injury checked out, or when the Blues recently made those trades. Many people like to share their opinions.
           
Now, back to the unusual fight. This person posted that a number of people with Joy FM stickers on their vehicles were driving poorly and not living up to what they are proclaiming on the back of their cars. This sparked other comments about Joy FM drivers (which happens quite often). Some of these comments, I must admit, were a little intense and certainly judgmental. A devoted Christian responded to one of the comments, making some pretty wicked attacks for the world to see below this other person’s post. Since I know the story of both these people, I can see why this happened. I am pretty sure both parties were hurt. The fact that this happened publicly only made matters worse.

Now before I give firepower to those who think Facebook is a bad thing, let me say this. Our latest generation is willing to openly admit they have feelings and opinions, which allows for great dialogue on some of our inner struggles. Facebook is not a bad thing, but just like anything in life, it needs to be used in the right context. A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a little bench that was given to Mindy and I in memory of Maddy. Using Facebook for this was a great way to communicate our love and thankfulness. Remember the birthday video of Abby I mentioned earlier?  Facebook can be a great way to share special moments with family and friends far away.
           
I have to admit that I see both sides of this unusual Facebook argument. Those that struggle with faith and Christianity struggle with our hypocritical nature. I know the person posting about Joy FM. That person has sent me texts of care and concern recently. That person is fully aware that I am pastor and loves me. That person has never made a remark concerning my faith and, quite honestly, is supportive of me. I may not agree with the way this person handles Facebook posting all the time, but I am sure that if I asked, there would be a few things wrong with my actions as well. On the other hand, I see the motive of the person who was defending the faith to the point of getting upset and attacking.

No comments: