Thursday, March 5, 2015

I just can't do that


As Jacob gets older, he is discovering the things his dad cannot do. A few weeks ago I shared that my mom saved a box of my art and I still can’t figure out why. Regardless, when it comes to things Jacob wants to draw, he has learned not to come to dad for help. He knows that dad will just create a mess out of it. He also has learned that mom is better at helping him with homework. The other day he had the audacity to   This is never good. Yet I also realized that this is my own fault.  If he asks for something that I know I don’t do well, I tell him, “I can’t do that. Wait for Mom.” There also might be a tiny bit of worry that Mindy will judge me if I do help him, but that is a subject for another time.
say, “Dad, there are a lot of things you can’t do.” I was like, “What?” He listed them off like he had been keeping track. At this point I realized my son is now aware of my weakness.

Honestly, it is important to know our strengths and weaknesses because it helps us to focus on the things we are good at. But I also believe that sometimes, just like for me, it becomes an excuse. “I can’t do that. Wait for Mom.” In our faith life, there are some things we openly admit that we don’t do well. While there is a ton of truth to using our strengths to the glory of God, is there also truth to God challenging our weaknesses? Are there things in your faith life that you have just gotten accustom to saying, “I don’t do that?” Is it singing, praying out loud, leading a bible study, or sharing your faith?

In the lesson in Mark 8, Jesus had just admitted that He was going to the cross to die and rise again.  Peter was like, Jesus you can’t do that. Peter was stopping the very mission of Jesus. Jesus had to call Peter out in the toughest way possible – by calling him the devil. When He said, “Get behind me Satan,” Jesus wasn’t being mean to Peter. He was calling Peter out on thinking he knew the Lord’s overall plan. What does the devil do? He tries to stop the plans of Jesus. That is what Peter was trying to do as well.  Now think about us.  How do we limit the power of Jesus? How do we stop God’s plan by suggesting what Jesus can or can’t do?

Literally, the only thing I can draw is a tree. I was so proud of the tree I would draw.  It was tree that you’d find in winter – no leaves but tons of branches. So saying I can’t do art is not exactly true. Suppose I was talking to someone who spoke a different language or was deaf. Would I stop and say, “Sorry. I can’t share the message of Jesus with you because I can’t draw,” or would I remember the tree and trust that God can use even my weakness for His mission.

No comments: