Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Great Light


You might have noticed that I never turn on the florescent lights in my office. I despise those kinds of lights. I do whatever I can to avoid them. I have lamps all over my office, including new little lights that look like security cameras. They serve a dual purpose; helps fend off bad guys, and keeps my office bright enough at night for meetings so that I don’t have to turn on the fluorescent overhead lights. The other day I was sitting in the dentist chair and I noticed they have fluorescent lights, but theirs are covered with these cool light covers. The covers are blue with clouds on them. It takes the ridiculous intense light and transitions it into a beautiful sunny day. For a moment I felt like I was at the beach, but then someone started working on my teeth and I was quickly brought back to the reality that I was in a dentist’s chair, not a beach chair.

My point is, those lights at the dentist office are great lights. I have been walking around hating fluorescent lights, convinced I will never find a solution for them, and then I see these awesome covers that transformed my hatred into a love. I want some for my office now. I have visions of people immediately feeling like they are on the beach, or living in the beautiful blue skies of southern California as they enter my office. When I lived in southern California I was truly floored that we had blue skies almost every day. I loved it! I’d drive around with the top off of my Jeep.  At times I’d be frozen at a stoplight because I was starring up with eyes closed into the blue skies. Ahh…  Oh sorry. See what I mean, these are great lights that can take me to new places within seconds.

Make no mistake about it—Jesus was a great light. He immediately reshaped the dark version of this life with His great light. I could use a million stories about it being pitch black, but the truth is, half the time we are starring into the light and we don’t even know how great it can be! Sometimes our mind has human blinders on us, which creates the darkness. But in one moment, one dental chair, everything can change.

Jesus walked around, and person-by-person introduced each of them to the great light—Himself. Most of them were not literally in darkness, by any means, but they could not see what true light was. They were confused about the purpose of life and what hope could look like in this life. The disciples were some of the first to see the great light. They were pulled from their normal day jobs, brought to the great light, and followed it.  A light so great it would cause them to do what they never saw coming. They would walk away from the only lives they have ever known to follow this great light. What will this great light reshape for you? Where are the places you are still living in darkness even though you think you are living in the light?

No comments: