Thursday, January 5, 2017

Unexpected Visitors


Well my male readers may all revoke me after this blog, but maybe I will get a huge female following.  Most importantly, my wife will be happy, which is how I got here in the first place. Last year my brother-in-laws and I were attempting to slam the Bachelor. We were making remarks about the different guys that had been on the show. Then one brother piped up, “This is exactly what they want. Our wives want us talking about this.” Well, I guess they got me again, since now I’m talking about it after only one episode of the new show. But in my defense, there is a new fantasy bachelor section in my ESPN fantasy sports app, so it is not just me who is getting gotten. It’s funny that I am teaching my wife and sister-in-law how to log into a fantasy sports app for the bachelor.

The new bachelor isn’t new at all, but has appeared four different times in three different versions of the show. He has had his heart broken repeatedly, yet he’s often painted as the villain rather than the victim, for some of the criticism he deserves. Nick, the bachelor, knew there would be questions about him coming back on the show - again. Already last year people thought it was a joke that he was going to be returning. But there he was Monday night at the show’s debut. What stood out to me this time is that there was a reason he was chosen. Yes, I know producers are behind all of this, and they can depict him how they want, but I noticed something significant. First, he had to take criticism. There were ladies showing up saying, “My friends think you are a jerk.” There were ladies trying to make him feel better about being a runner up, and there were many jokes about his familiarity with the show. And yet, Nick took all of it in stride, like a champ. This is what you call character, to publically stand up and take the hits and not let it phase you too much. Secondly, his toast was all about trying to help the ladies to have genuine, authentic conversations in a fake world. Nick was immediately trying to take the show out of the show. And he did it; some of his opening conversations were authentic and real. He was having normal conversations about the families they grew up in and making real connections with the ladies. His first impression rose went to the person I thought he had the most real conversation with, a conversation about their families and their favorite uncle or aunt. Nick came into the show being one of the most unexpected bachelors, and yet there was a reason for his coming. He may keep trying to bring more genuine relationships to the show, and may even end up with a marriage that just might last. Few have left the show with working relationships or marriages, but this might just be a true bachelor connection.

Now, many of you never expected me to talk about the Bachelor. I certainly didn’t expect my wife, sister, and sisters-in-laws to invade my ESPN fantasy sports app. And yet, all of that unexpected stuff swirling around brings us back to the Magi. They were unexpected. They weren’t three kings or three wisemen, but unexpected bachelors on a journey to see a king they had no clue about. This told the Jews, the people of God, one very important thing—Jesus had come for all people!

The Magi were unexpected visitors. Their history, occupations, and lifestyles spoke that they were the most unexpected people to visit Jesus, and yet they play an important role in story of Jesus’ birth. They bring the powerful truth that Jesus came to restore the relationship with all people. Who are the unexpected people in your life that could come to see Jesus through you? Who is the person you least expect to come to faith? Are you ready to share faith even with those you might not expect?  

No comments: