Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Deep Post


It has been a few days but I meant to write a post about the election. No matter who you voted for and or wanted to vote for this year there was an overwhelming reaction to the election. The lines were longer than normal and people were coming out from all over. I am not sure whether MTV's old slogan of rocking the vote finally caught on or something else but people came out. I think there is one thing that held strong and that was that people wanted change. While my first time in California to see an election I am sure it has not always been like this. It seemed like there were people on every street corner promoting their position on the props or the president. Regardless I think it was obvious to me that people are not happy with the way things are and want something different.


This is made even more obvious when I look at a sign that was on a cork board by the mail boxes in my apartment complex. It is one of those post cards that says, "What will you do with all the extra money you save on car insurance." Underneath it someone wrote, "Give it to Arnold Schwarzenegger he knows what to do with it." I of course had a little laugh at how people can think of the funniest stuff. Comments let me see even more how unhappy people are with our government right now. They want change and things to be different. The truth is they are looking to an earthly leader.


A few weeks ago I preaching about the King of Glory. I talked about how the people at the time of Samuel begged for a king. Samuel tried to tell them to trust God as their king but the people were persistent. God gave them a king but warned them it would not be truly what they expected. They had all kinds of problems with Saul and saw how corrupt he was. There was no choice but to turn back to God. In asking for an earthly king they had forgotten how God brought them out of Egypt and how God has always been there for them. It is when our world is desperate we realize that we need God so badly. There is no doubt we need him right now. No matter who is President they will still sin and make mistakes. We will never have that savior in a man because we already had him and it was Jesus. He is the only Savior that could truly run and does run our world without a mistake. While we wait to see what will happen with the economy or our new president my prayer is that we turn to Jesus. We see His leadership and are reminded of all the things He does for us. I am so thankful today that I am not dependent on earthly leaders. Today I am thankful that Jesus is my king and my leader.

No comments: