Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oh!!

Are you ever some place and all of the sudden someone tells you something and you are not sure how to respond. Recently I heard this song called "Oh." It is basically about this guy who hears all these crazy things and is not sure what to say and so he says oh. There is a funny story in the song of this girl brushing her teeth on a Subway because she does not know when she will die and see God. There are a few more stories in the song that are more the too much information idea. It made me think of all those times when I am in that place. I hear something that I did not expect and am not sure what to say. I worry that my face is showing what I feel inside. You know this feeling of, "I can't believe you told me that and I don't know what to say." Regardless those times happen. This song made me think about those moments and to think about what I normally say.

In all honest we all have those moments and they go both ways. I think sometimes my biggest fear is being on the other side of the Oh. You know that you say something that the other person can't believe you told them. Regardless they exist because we are sinners. They exist because we do things we shouldn't. And as humans we do not always know what to say when a person shares something like that. This is where I feel comforted in the fact that I can tell God anything. He will never just say Oh. God responds in love and concern for each of us. The challenge is that we can do that also. Often times we are told things not to respond Oh but to show that person that someone does care enough to listen even if it is a hard topic or an unusual thing.

In life we may laugh about those times unusual things happen. I know there have been times I have laughed about what a person did in this store or that one. You tell this story about this crazy thing you saw or heard someone did and you might say Oh as they tell you the story. But it is a whole other thing to be there for someone tell you something they might have done at some point and truly need someone to talk to. I first found this song provoked my thought process and then challenged me to make sure I am truly listening and encouraging and not just saying OH.

No comments: